New Istanbul Airport (IST) (2020 Master Guide with Insider Advice, Tips)
Here on this page, you’ll find all the necessary information about Istanbul’s No#1 Airport, New Istanbul Airport (IST), including the history, airport services, flights, terminal, connections, hotels, transportation alternatives such as Public Buses, HAVAIST Airport Shuttles, Private Shuttles, etc, tips for departures, and insider advice. Information updated on December 2019.
Some Practical Information for IST
* As of 08 April 2019, the big move of Istanbul Ataturk Airport to New Istanbul Airport (IST) is completed and IST has become fully operational. Ataturk Airport is closed for all international and domestic flights.
* New Istanbul Airport (IST) is located north-west of central Istanbul, in the Arnavutkoy district, by the Black Sea shore, on the European side.
* New Istanbul Airport Code is IST, Phone : +90 444 1 442 (Call center) , Web : istanbulhavalimani.com
* You can travel between New Istanbul Airport (IST) and central Istanbul directly by municipal public buses, HAVAIST Airport Shuttle, taxi and Private Shuttles.
* The HAVAIST Airport Shuttle is the most practical way, the Private Shuttle is the most comfortable and convenient way to travel between the airport and central Istanbul, taking about 1 hour from Istanbul city center.
* There are plenty of short and long-term National Car Parks for people driving to the airport.
* There is NO direct METRO operating between New Istanbul Airport (IST) and city center.
Where is the New Istanbul Airport (IST)?
New Istanbul Airport (IST) is situated on the north eastern part of Istanbul, on the Arnavutkoy district, close to the Black Sea coast. Average distance from the New Istanbul Airport to major Istanbul city center districts is about 45 km.
Distances to Major Districts & Neighborhoods
Avcilar 53 km., Ataturk Airport 40 km., Bakirkoy 42 km., Besiktas 41 km., Eminonu 40 km., Galata 38 km., Kadikoy 52 km., Kavacik 42 km., Levent 36 km., Maslak 35 km., Sabiha Gokcen Airport 85 km., Pendik 87 km., SISTi 37 km., Sultanahmet 45 km., Ortakoy 41 km., Taksim 40 km. and Uskudar 45 km.
New Istanbul Airport Map
To see New Istanbul Airport’s exact location, see the Istanbul airports map.
IST Flights – Live Arrivals & Departures Info
- Please check com/en/passenger/flight/arrivalfor live Arrivals,
- Please check com/en/passenger/flight/departurefor live Departures.
IST Passenger Rights
In the event of flight cancellation, denied boarding, delay, upgrading or downgrading or flight delay for a period of at least 2 hours, the passengers can benefit from their rights. Please check your rights when you travel by air in the European Union with the following link europa.eu/youreurope/.
You may also call Civil Aviation General Directorate for detailed information.
Telephone: + 90 (312) 203 60 00- (242) 330 32 38
Insider Advice for IST Departures
* For getting to New Istanbul Airport (IST) from city center; we recommend you to arrange your time as to be at the airport at least 1,5 hours for domestic flights and 2,5 hours for international flights.
* You’ll possibly wait in the queue on the main entrance, airline’s counter, and check-in process.
* Since the airport is very huge one, you’ll need to walk from one point to another inside the airport, about at least 15 minutes.
* After your check-in, you’ll also wait in the queue for passenger lounge entrance, flight ticket and passport control.
* For domestic flights; if the check-in process is not completed within 45 minutes before the scheduled departure time, than the passenger loses all rights on the ticket and flight.
* For International flights; if the check-in process is not completed at the latest 60 minutes before the scheduled departure time, than the passenger loses all rights on the ticket and the flight.
* Therefore, we highly recommend you to go to the airport early.
* Regarding the minimum transfer time of average 1,5 hours plus 30 minutes possible traffic, etc, you should take your transfer to New Istanbul Airport from city center, at least 3,5 to 4,5 hours before your flight.
History of the New Istanbul Airport Project
The New Istanbul Airport (IST), after the Ataturk Airport (IST) and Sabiha Gokcen Airport (SAW), is the third international airport of Istanbul that opened with a big ceremony on 29th October 2018. The aim and vision of the IST is to build a very large airport in Istanbul to cover and handle fast growing air traffic and travels to Istanbul as Istanbul is one of the top 20 most visited cities in the world and also an important hub for worldwide travelers and airlines.
The IST project has started in 2015 having four phases and the part of the first phase of the airport completed on 29th October 2018 and the airport is partly opened. The all four phases of the IST is planned to be completed in 2028 and after that there will be six runways, two terminal buildings and two air control towers and the IST will be the largest airport in the world with a capacity of 200 million passengers per year.
The Completion of the New Istanbul Airport (in 2028)
The first phase of the New Istanbul Airport (IST) includes 3 runways, a terminal building, the facilities related with the cargo, maintenance, repair and support, the Airport City with shopping mall, retail shops, cafes and restaurants inside and those facilities are planned to be completed in 2021. After the completion of the first phase, the capacity of the IST will rise to 90 million passengers per year.
The second phase of the IST that includes the 2nd terminal building and the 4th runway is planned to start in 2020 and to be complete in 2022.
The third phase of the IST that includes the 5th runway, the 2nd air control tower and support facilities is planned to be completed in 2023 and the capacity will rise to 150 million passengers per year.
And finally the fourth phase that includes the 6th runway is planned to be completed in 2028 and the capacity will rise to 200 million passengers per year.
Of course all those plans are dependent to everything goes in time without any possible delays or troubles. When the IST will fully be completed, it will be the largest airport in the world in 2028 unless other big airports rise their capacities or any country make bigger one.
New Istanbul Airport (IST) Terminal
IST is spread across arrivals and departures levels, with shops, duty free, cafes, restaurants, currency exchange facilities, banks, rent a car, information counters, accommodation desks and left luggage facilities. All passengers must clear security control before entering the departure lounge and you’ll find shops, bars and cafes. In the arrivals hall, you can find shops, duty free, restaurants, currency exchange, car rental and hotel reservation desks.
Check the New Istanbul Airport Terminal Plan Interactive Map from below.
New Istanbul Airport (IST) Parking
New Istanbul Airport has a multi-storey parking area, having a car park with a capacity of 40.000 vehicles and with the highest service quality and technology. The airport car park area has services that include car wash, tire change, tire bank, mini maintenance, fueling and Authorized Services.
New Istanbul Airport (IST) Accommodation
Hotel inside New Istanbul Airport (IST)
The New Istanbul Airport is great that it offers inside Airport Hotel for travelers. The Innovative London based hotel brand, YOTEL operates inside the New Istanbul Airport. YOTEL serves in two separate parts of the New Istanbul Airport, YOTEL Istanbul Airport (Landside) and YOTELAIR Istanbul Airport (Airside), with total 451 rooms (also known as cabins). You are able to make hourly bookings as well. Read more about YOTEL Istanbul Airport Hotel, Rooms and Fares.
Hotels near New Istanbul Airport (IST)
On the contrary, there are not any hotels located close to the New Istanbul Airport (IST). It is because the the New Istanbul Airport is constructed on the northern far end of Istanbul, about 45 km. from the city center. As for the closest hotels to the IST, you may find several hotels located within 14-30 km. We gathered those hotels’ info on our the closest hotels to the New Istanbul Airport page. You may check them there.
Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen Airport (SAW)
- Sabiha Gokcen Airport is located east of central Istanbul, in the Pendik district, on the Asian side.
- Sabiha Gokcen Airport Code is SAW, Phone :+90 216 588 88 88 , Web : http://www.sabihagokcen.aero/
- You can travel between Sabiha Gokcen Airport and central Istanbul directly by municipal public buses, HAVABUS Airport Shuttle, taxi and Private Shuttles, and by indirect by train and sea bus.
- The Airport Shuttle from Kadikoyand Taksim is the most practical way, the Private Shuttle is the most comfortable and convenient way to travel between the airport and central Istanbul, taking 1 hour from Kadikoy, 1,5 hours from Taksim.
- There are plenty of short and long-term National Car Parks for people driving to the airport.
Located the on east of the central Istanbul, on the Asian side, about 30 km. from Kadikoy, 44 km. from Taksim and 48 km. from Sultanahmet, the International Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen Airport (SAW) is the second busiest airport in Istanbul, with a capacity of 41,000,000 passengers per year. To see Sabiha Gokcen Airport’s exact location, see the Istanbul airports map.
Sabiha Gokcen Airport is spread across arrivals and departures levels, with shops, duty free, cafes, restaurants, currency exchange facilities, banks, rent a car, information counters, accommodation desks and left luggage facilities.
Sabiha Gokcen Airport Arrivals can be found on the ground floor of the Terminal. After you leave the aircraft, you will pass through the passport control, baggage reclaim and customs. In the arrivals hall, you can find shops, duty free, restaurants, currency exchange, car rental and hotel reservation desks.
Sabiha Gokcen Airport Departures can be found on the first and the top floor of the Terminal. All passengers must clear security control before entering the departure lounge and you’ll find shops, bars and cafes.
Check the Sabiha Gokcen Airport Terminal plan Interactive 3D Map from below.
The Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen Airport is great that it offers inside Airport Hotel for travellers. ISG Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen Airport Hotel is the only airport hotel operating in the airport, in a 4-storey hotel building with 116 standard rooms and 12 suites, located only 104 meters from the terminal. Very ideal for both business and leisure travellers, as well as very early departures, delayed flights, tedious long transit or layovers.
For the ones who want to spend the night near the Sabiha Gokcen Airport, there are variety of quality hotels around the airport within easy reach and suitable for all budgets. We gathered those hotels’ infos on our the Closest Hotels to the Sabiha Gokcen Airport page. You may check them there.